rEGAL RHYTHMS SLAM RULES
ARRIVAL TIME: Poets must arrive by 6 p.m. (Slam will start promptly @ 7 p.m. no exceptions & NO REFUNDS!!!)
Location: The Oasis at Grace, 5524 Belmont Avenue, Cinti, Ohio 45224.
- Names will be pulled randomly each round to determine performance order.
- Each poem must be of the poet’s own construction.
- There is a no repeat rule effect for the slam competition. This means you cannot repeat a piece in a single night’s event.
- Each poet gets three minutes (plus a ten-second grace period) to read one poem.
If the poet goes overtime, points will be deducted from the total score:
- If the poet goes over 3 minutes and 10.1 seconds, there is a half point deducted.
- If the poet goes over 3 minutes and 20 seconds, then a full point is deducted
- If the poet goes over 3 minutes and 30 seconds, then a point and a half is deducted
- If the poet goes over 3 minutes and 40 seconds, then 2 points are deducted. USE OF PROPS:
- The poet may not use props, costumes, or musical instruments. Anything on your body is not a prop. If you take it off of your body; for example, removing your hat during the performance, it is counted as a prop and you will be disqualified.
- Judges are encouraged to score using tenth of a point in order to avoid a tie, if possible.
- Each poem will be scored by a panel of five (5) judges. The lowest and highest scores are dropped and the three middle scores are added together for the final score.
- Judges are scoring the poems based on how the poem impacts them, or makes them feel.
BETWEEN THE 5 SCORES, the lowest and highest scores are dropped and the three middle scores are added together for the final score for each round.
eXAMPLE:) If a total of 10 participants register, this will be three rounds, 10-5-3 slam.
-First Round in 10 person slam
-Top 5 will advance into the 2nd round.
-The five lowest scoring performers will be eliminated
Second Round in 10 person slam
-The three performers with the highest combined score from the 1st and 2nd rounds will advance into the final round.
-The two performers with the lowest score will be eliminated.
Final Round in 10 person slam
-The top three performers will compete. The performer finishing with the highest cumulative score of rounds 1, 2, & 3 wins first place. Second highest wins second place, and the third highest wins third place.
-In the case of a tie, the applause from the crowd will break the tie.
- This is adjusted DEPENDING ON # OF people register for the slam.
- **If there aren’t at least 6 people, who register for the slam, the slam will be canceled, and the entrance fee will be refunded to the participants***.